Our Founder’s story: Africa called my name
The extraordinary journey and the creation of TheraNaka™ was inspired by one woman’s desire to create a range using Africa’s natural active botanicals while helping and uplifting communities of the less fortunate.
Lisa Smit, founder and developer of the world-renowned TheraNaka™ Skin and Body Care brand contributes over twenty years in the health and skin care- and professional cosmetic industry and has been the owner and CEO of Lisa Smit Enterprises c.c., Stellenbosch, South Africa, since its inception.
The birth of TheraNaka™ in 2005 and the story of how a self-made company grew to feature in some of South Africa’s most renowned hotels and spas officially started after Lisa completed her studies in Stellenbosch and became the Manageress of 2 of the only Hydro’s in South Africa at the time. She could never understand why only French products were used in these facilities and often found herself wondering why no South African brands were considered ‘good’ enough to serve these establishments. Lisa wanted “to capture the essence of Africa by combining exclusive blends of plant energies with traditional African rituals to give clients a truly unique and healing experience, achieving the ultimate balance of mind, body and soul.”
After dealing with botanists at the University of Stellenbosch during the development of TheraVine™, TheraNaka™’s sister brand, Lisa learnt that we as a country have the richest floral kingdom per km compared to any other country worldwide.
Having grown up in a strong entrepreneurial family, Lisa knew that, in order for her products to be successful, she needed a point of difference. While compiling her research, she worked hand in hand with a well known botanist on Fynbos and its benefits which then became a key addition to both ranges she is known for.
Word spread that she was in the process of creating a truly African brand and she was asked to create a unique range for other ‘earth-friendly’ hotel establishments. Today, TheraNaka™’s success goes beyond South Africa’s borders and the brand is now available across the African continent and in several countries abroad.
Lisa Smit contributes over thirty years in the health and skin care- and professional cosmetic industry and has been the owner and CEO of Lisa Smit Enterprises c.c., Stellenbosch, South Africa, since its inception in 2004.
Her qualifications in the Cosmetology-, Health and Skincare Industries include:
- International Diploma in Cosmetology (British Association of Cosmetology, London, England)
- Cidesco: International Diploma in Cosmetology (Comite International D’Esthetique Et De Cosmetologie, Paris, France)
- Society of Cosmetic Chemists of South Africa – Associate member
- Masters diploma in Health and Skin Care Therapy (Isa Carsten’s Stellenbosch Academy for Health and Skin Care Therapy).
- Diploma in Advanced Aromatherapy and Skin Care (Institute of Clinical Aromatherapy, London, England, Eve Taylor)
- Full membership to the South African Institute of Health and Skin Care Therapists
- Post Graduate Certificate in Decleor product range (Paris, France)
- Post Graduate Certificate in Clarins product range (Paris, France)
- Post Graduate Certificate in Guinot product range (Paris France)
- Post Graduate Certificate in RVB product range (Italy)
- Post Graduate Professional diploma in prescribed Hydradermie (Isa Carsten’s Stellenbosch Academy for Health and Skin Care Therapy)
- Various certificates in Specialised Skin Care Procedures (Isa Carsten’s Stellenbosch Academy for Health and Skin Care Therapy)